XFce4 XFwm Feature Request...

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Mon Aug 18 15:08:09 CEST 2003

Op ma 18-08-2003, om 14:53 schreef Chris Fuhrman:
> Howdy,

> The one feature that he likes in tvtwm that doesn't seem to be present in
> any modern window manager is the ability for a window to span multiple
> workspaces.  Something like the following:
>
> +----------+----------+
> |          |          |
> |          |          |
> |      +---|--+       |
> |      |Xte|rm|       |
> |      +---|--+       |
> +----------+----------+
>   DeskTop1   Desktop2
>

> How difficult would it be to add this functionality to XFWM?  Given XFce's
> low memory footprint, I'd think XFce would meet his needs nicely.

This is the difference between workspaces and viewports. Viewports are a
partial view of a larger desktop whereas workspaces are separate virtual
desktops.

Xfwm4 currently only supports workspaces as does metacity for GNOME. I
don't know if Olivier intends to support viewports. Personally, I don't
really see how this would be useful, at least I never felt I needed such
a feature.

Window managers that support viewports include sawfish and fvwm2, if I'm
not mistaken.

	Jasper