XFce4 XFwm Feature Request...

Chris Fuhrman chris.fuhrman at tfcci.com
Mon Aug 18 14:53:22 CEST 2003

Howdy,

I realize that XFce 4 is currently in "Release Candidate" stage so new
features aren't likely to be considered until either the 4.1 or 4.2
release.

That said, a manager here has been an old tvtwm user for years.  With the
latest advancements in GNOME and KDE, he's finding it more difficult to
get tvtwm to cooperate with applications such as StarOffice and Mozilla
and is trying to find another Window Manager/Desktop environment that will
meet his needs.

The one feature that he likes in tvtwm that doesn't seem to be present in
any modern window manager is the ability for a window to span multiple
workspaces.  Something like the following:

+----------+----------+
|          |          |
|          |          |
|      +---|--+       |
|      |Xte|rm|       |
  DeskTop1   Desktop2

How difficult would it be to add this functionality to XFWM?  Given XFce's
low memory footprint, I'd think XFce would meet his needs nicely.

Cheers!

--
Chris Fuhrman           | Twenty First Century Communications
chris.fuhrman at tfcci.com | Senior Software Engineer