Motif dialog problems(was: more nedit dialog problems)

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 13:10:27 CEST 2003

Hi:

The problem appears to be with Motif in XFce4, not just NEdit.
I got another Motif ap called AXMedit(an editor for Arabic that also uses
Motif) and its "Save file as" has the same/similar problem: cannot enter any
text into the text widget with the keyboard. (and, yes, it works AOK in Gnome2
w/ metacity...)

However, I found a glitch/workaround with/for the problem:
If I switch to another ap highlight some text(put it in the buffer), then
return to the still open "Save File As" dialog, I can get the cursor and
keyboard entry to work; by just clicking in the text entry widget, the cursor
becomes active again and entering text with the keyboard works again!

Also, I just found that selecting the "Add line breaks..." and cancelling the
popup window, resets the text widget to allow keyborad entry.

Hmm, also just found that switching focus to any other open window and then
switching back to the NEdit "Save File As" dialog window fixes it too. ...very
strange :(

... not much of a workaround so please fix if U can...

Here's some data(it's the same before&after "workaround"):

#> xwininfo
xwininfo: Window id: 0x2e001aa "Save File As"

  Absolute upper-left X:  338
  Absolute upper-left Y:  77
  Relative upper-left X:  5
  Relative upper-left Y:  23
  Width: 338
  Height: 478
  Depth: 24
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: yes
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +338+77  -348+77  -348-213  +338-213
  -geometry 338x478+333+54

#> xprop
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
                window state: Normal
                icon window: 0x0
_NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS(ATOM) = _NET_WM_ACTION_CLOSE,
_NET_WM_ACTION_MAXIMIZE_HORZ, _NET_WM_ACTION_MAXIMIZE_VERT,
_NET_WM_ACTION_SHADE
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 3
_WIN_WORKSPACE(CARDINAL) = 3
_WIN_STATE(CARDINAL) = 0
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) =
WM_TRANSIENT_FOR(WINDOW): window id # 0x2e00156
_MOTIF_WM_HINTS(_MOTIF_WM_HINTS) = 0x4, 0xffffffff, 0xffffffff, 0x3, 0x0
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW
WM_CLIENT_LEADER(WINDOW): window id # 0x2e00156
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "en_US"
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "FileSelect_popup", "NEdit"
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
                Client accepts input or input focus: True
                Initial state is Normal State.
                window id # of group leader: 0x2e00156
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified location: 289, 34
                program specified size: 338 by 478
                window gravity: NorthWest
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "fhj52.l.hom"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "Save File As"

>From editres, by selecting the "Text" widget:
the widget class name is        XmTextField
the widget id is                      0x84597d8

The resource being affected is:
.nedit.FileSelect_popup.FileSelect.Text.*
which is same as:
.NEdit.XmDialogShell.XmFileSelectionBox.XmTextField.*

idunno what/which the "*" is but there are several "Focus" resources.

====================================

--- Ric <fhj52ads at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> When "Save As..." is selected the text dialog to type in the name does
> not get focus. No typed characters can be entered.  The file selection
> windows allow one to choose a file and that name is entered into the
> dialog but it cannot be edited.
> Also, normally, the cursor blinks in the text widget but now it is
> static.
>
> Apparently it is not nedit at fault because I checked it in Gnome and
> it works normally. I know that is not a great reference but it is the
> only other gtk+2 DE I have.
>
> This could have been a problem for a week or more because I very
> rarely use "Save as..." since I am almost always editing the file(s)
> directly and :. only use "Save"(actually, CTRL-S).
>
> I will try to find out the cause and do some more tests to see if I can
> make the problem go away but I thought I should mention it now in
> case there is someone who might know what the cause could be.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> =====
> Have A Great Day!
>
> Ric
> ***

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Thought for today:
"There are no significant bugs in our released software
that any significant number of users want fixed."
 - Bill Gates in an interview with Focus magazine, Oct 23, 1995.