Other things that need to be fixed before RC3

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Aug 8 08:28:16 CEST 2003

On Thu, 07, Aug 2003, Joe Klemmer wrote:

Joe,

> > Although you are technically correct here, Benny, there is no piece of
> > software anywhere which is not broken in some way or another. If
> > workarounds are to be banned you make the software depend on developers
> > from another project who might care less. This can delay development
> > indefinitely. If a bug is encountered and a workaround possible and
> > opted for, the bug should be reported to the developers of the original
> > software and the workaround removed when there is no more need for it.
>
> 	FWLIW, I think that a balance needs to be reached for any issue like
> this.  We all would prefer a "no hacks" solution but, as Edscott pointed
> out, this isn't practical in the real world.  The focus right now should
> be on getting 4.0 released.  If a hack is needed for that then it's a
> Good Thing<tm>.   Finding an elegant solution can be left for 4.2.

Please remember, that we are an open source project and not a
commercial project with a fixed release date, so we have the choice of
making things as good as we prefer them to be.

Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/
pkgsrc "Work in progress":                  http://pkgsrc-wip.sf.net/