libxfce4util i18n broken (follow-up)

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Aug 7 19:46:04 CEST 2003

On Thu, 07, Aug 2003, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Hi Jasper, Benny,

Hey Olivier,

> * Setting (manually) LC_ALL to fr_FR.UTF-8 doesn't work
> * Setting (manually) LANG to fr_FR.UTF-8 doesn't work
> * Setting (manually) LC_ALL to fr_FR at UTF-8 doesn't work
> * Setting (manually) LANG to fr_FR at UTF-8 doesn't work

Does your libc refuses to accept UTF-8 her?

> * Setting (manually) LC_ALL to fr_FR.ISO8859-1 ** works **
> * Setting (manually) LANG to fr_FR.ISO8859-1 doesn't work w/out LC_ALL
> * Setting (manually) LC_ALL to fr_FR at ISO8859-1 doesn't work

And thats exactly the way its ment to be.

BTW: The better fix for the GDM problem would be to check it in
startxfce4 and set LC_ALL to the correct value. That would work with
non-xfce programs as well and there would be no need to introduce a
workaround to libxfce4util. I want libxfce4util to be as clean as
possible, so please consider the startxfce4 before committing any
hacks to libxfce4util.

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Benedikt