Other things that need to be fixed before RC3

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Aug 7 12:52:33 CEST 2003

On Thu, 07, Aug 2003, Olivier FOURDAN wrote:

> > That would be nice. I think its no bug in the i18n, but its Olivier
> > setting the wrong environment variable.
>
> I did try LANG, LANGUAGE and LC_ALL and it doesn't work whatever I use.
>
> You know, I'm not a purist, I don't care about what is right and what is wrong, but I do care when things don't work right in a common environment.

You know my policy is "No hacks", and thats IMHO the best policy for
software development. If a software is broken, you can a) choose to
add work-arounds to all software that uses the broken software or b)
just fix the broken software. We follow this with xfce mostly and I
see no reason to not follow this further. (Atleast we need to figure
out whats broken here, and not just assume, that a software is
broken).

> In other words, if I select French as the language in the login manager (gdm, kdm, whatever), I expect to get the desktop menu in french, and it doesn't work so it needs to be fixed.
>
> > LANG=<whatever> can have strange effects. The right way to do things
> > is to set LC_ALL=de_DE.ISO8859-1 IIRC, and this works fine with i18n.
>
> Nope, not here. Sorry. FYI, the value set by the DM is "fr_FR at UTF8", not "fr_FR.UTF8"
>
> > If you could verify that its really due to the wrong env var set, then
> > we should add a note to the FAQ about this, and makr libxfce4util
> > ready to release :)
>
> Nope, adding this to the faq is useless. It needs to work out of the box.

You're the boss, just do whatever you consider to be the right way.

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Benedikt

--