System tray implementation

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Apr 19 18:38:47 CEST 2003

On Sat, 19, Apr 2003, Danny wrote:

> > I've been working on a system tray implementation for some time now, and would
> > like the other developers to have a quick look at it. It can be found here:
> >
> > http://echobase.homeunix.net/~bmeurer/systray.tgz
> Works fine with the mini python test proggy for system tray stuff
> (http://ifurita.kicks-ass.net/python-tray.tar.gz)

Does not like my python, so I'll continue to use GnomeICU for testing :-)
> > It still has some things missing:
> >
> > 	- Message data
> > 	- Tray icon hints
> Yeah, I noticed... but these shouldn't be difficult to add, ne ? :D

The message data part is quite tricky, cause the system tray has to be able
to retrieve message data from more than one client at the same time.

The icon hints part is easy to do, as soon as I know what to do with the hints,
cause for now they seem pretty useless for us.

> > I had a quick talk with Jasper about it, and we've agreed to put it into
> > libxfcegui4. The GUI frontend to the system tray will be put into the
> > taskbar. In addition the taskbar should be changed to be able to use plugins
> > instead of hardcoding all this stuff into the code.
> Is there a functional difference between the iconbox and the taskbar ?
> What about merging them and putting an "look and feel" option to select
> between them ?

The iconbox is something completly different. It handles (iconified) windows,
and put a icon for the in place. The taskbar provides a frame for status
information "applets". Merging the iconbox into the taskbar would be quite
senseless, since the taskbar already provides the same information to the
user as the iconbox do.

> Danny

regards,
Benedikt