System tray implementation

Danny danny.milo at gmx.net
Sat Apr 19 18:20:29 CEST 2003

Hi! :)

Am Sam, 2003-04-19 um 16.10 schrieb Benedikt Meurer:
> Hello,
>
> I've been working on a system tray implementation for some time now, and would
> like the other developers to have a quick look at it. It can be found here:
>
> http://echobase.homeunix.net/~bmeurer/systray.tgz
Works fine with the mini python test proggy for system tray stuff
(http://ifurita.kicks-ass.net/python-tray.tar.gz)

Great ! :)

> It still has some things missing:
>
> 	- Message data
> 	- Tray icon hints
Yeah, I noticed... but these shouldn't be difficult to add, ne ? :D

> See the specification at: http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/systemtray.html
>
> I had a quick talk with Jasper about it, and we've agreed to put it into
> libxfcegui4. The GUI frontend to the system tray will be put into the
> taskbar. In addition the taskbar should be changed to be able to use plugins
> instead of hardcoding all this stuff into the code.
Is there a functional difference between the iconbox and the taskbar ?
What about merging them and putting an "look and feel" option to select
between them ?

> In order to test the code you need to have GnomeICU installed, since it
> seems to be the only application thats conforms to this standard yet.
Didn't try that yet... but that will work as well, I suppose.

> Furtheron, in order to get support for the "old" KDE system tray protocol
> we would need to have the window manager act as a kind of "proxy" between
> the application providing the system tray icon and the XfceSystemTray.
> See the description:
>
> 	http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/kdeqt/kde3arch/protocols-docking.html

> So, Olivier, what do you think: Should xfwm4 support the KDE protocol? It
> could look for the _KDE_NET_WM_SYSTEM_TRAY_WINDOW_FOR property being set
> and send a _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_OPCODE to XfceSystemTray. That shouldn't be
> that hard, although I'm not entirely sure, whether the KDE tray icon stuff
> conforms to the XEMBED standard.
>
> regards,
> Benedikt

Danny