System tray implementation

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Apr 19 16:10:06 CEST 2003

Hello,

I've been working on a system tray implementation for some time now, and would
like the other developers to have a quick look at it. It can be found here:

http://echobase.homeunix.net/~bmeurer/systray.tgz

It still has some things missing:

	- Message data
	- Tray icon hints

See the specification at: http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/systemtray.html

I had a quick talk with Jasper about it, and we've agreed to put it into
libxfcegui4. The GUI frontend to the system tray will be put into the
taskbar. In addition the taskbar should be changed to be able to use plugins
instead of hardcoding all this stuff into the code.

In order to test the code you need to have GnomeICU installed, since it
seems to be the only application thats conforms to this standard yet.

Furtheron, in order to get support for the "old" KDE system tray protocol
we would need to have the window manager act as a kind of "proxy" between
the application providing the system tray icon and the XfceSystemTray.
See the description:

	http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/kdeqt/kde3arch/protocols-docking.html

So, Olivier, what do you think: Should xfwm4 support the KDE protocol? It
could look for the _KDE_NET_WM_SYSTEM_TRAY_WINDOW_FOR property being set
and send a _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_OPCODE to XfceSystemTray. That shouldn't be
that hard, although I'm not entirely sure, whether the KDE tray icon stuff
conforms to the XEMBED standard.

regards,
Benedikt

    -- Henry Spencer