System tray implementation

Danny danny.milo at gmx.net
Sat Apr 19 18:46:58 CEST 2003

Am Sam, 2003-04-19 um 18.38 schrieb Benedikt Meurer:
> On Sat, 19, Apr 2003, Danny wrote:
>
> > > I've been working on a system tray implementation for some time now, and would
> > > like the other developers to have a quick look at it. It can be found here:
> > >
> > > http://echobase.homeunix.net/~bmeurer/systray.tgz
> > Works fine with the mini python test proggy for system tray stuff
> > (http://ifurita.kicks-ass.net/python-tray.tar.gz)
>
> Does not like my python, so I'll continue to use GnomeICU for testing :-)
Hehe okie :) gnomeicu is more complete in what features of the systray
is uses anyways :D

> > > It still has some things missing:
> > >
> > > 	- Message data
> > > 	- Tray icon hints
> > Yeah, I noticed... but these shouldn't be difficult to add, ne ? :D
>
> The message data part is quite tricky, cause the system tray has to be able
> to retrieve message data from more than one client at the same time.
Yeah, the chunks part is really evil :)

> The icon hints part is easy to do, as soon as I know what to do with the hints,
> cause for now they seem pretty useless for us.
Yeah, because no app used the systray"-internal" hints on the icon yet
;) but we can write our own :D

> The iconbox is something completly different. It handles (iconified) windows,
> and put a icon for the in place. The taskbar provides a frame for status
> information "applets". Merging the iconbox into the taskbar would be quite
> senseless, since the taskbar already provides the same information to the
> user as the iconbox do.
You are right. That was my misunderstanding.
(I set up the iconbox so that it displays icons from all applications,
not only the minimized ones, and "disabled" the taskbar, you know ;))

> regards,
> Benedikt

Danny