Xfce4-dev digest, Vol 1 #428 - 16 msgs

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Tue Apr 8 21:39:46 CEST 2003

Erik,

Moving the panel slightly off screen is definitely the wrong way to go.
That wouldn't make much sense on systems that use Xinerama with a
top/bottom layout.

Hiding the panel is not any better and a bit overhead.

The only way to do this "properly" IMO, is the put all the panel widgets
is a "top" container that can be hidden when the panel is "autohidden"
and visible otherwise. Then to resize the main panel window. This is
what I did in the taskbar code, you might want to take a look at this,
it's fairly simple.

Note that the hiding side depends on the panel position. For example, in
the top half on the screen, in horizontal mode, the panel should hide to
the top, while on the right half in vertical mode, it should hide to the
right.

Using the method describe above, one wouldn't even need to move the
panel to a screen edge when hidden. Using a small timeout for hide/show,
the panel could be left at its current position (the timeout would be
used to detect when the mouse just "flies" over the panel.

Cheers,
Olivier.

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org