Xfce4-dev digest, Vol 1 #428 - 16 msgs

Erik Touve etouve at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 8 18:49:44 CEST 2003

>> Why can't I move the panel off or partially off the screen?  I'm
>> assumeing its some sort of master controller out of my reach that's
>> checkin the window and repositing it so that it's always onscreen.
>> Since this isn't C++ and this panel is defined globally, I'm having
>> trouble tracking down the culprit.
>>

>That would probably be the window manager. Anyway, what I think you
>should do is hide the panel and create a new empty window of a few
>pixels high with the same width as the panel and put that on the edge of
>the screen.

I was thinking it would be really nice to be able to animate the panel as it hides... sort of like Windows... a slow transition to hidden.  I have also tried to make a new window the same width... it works better and is a little more free to size and position for some reason, I just couldn't get the signal handler to work with it.  Argh.

>> When I create a new window, attach a signal handler for mouse focus,
>> why won't my new window get the signal called?  Is there another place
>> I need to register with?
>>

>Sounds like that should work. By the way, I think you may want >to use
>the enter-notify and leave-notify events instead.

I'll zero in on these, thanks.

>If you send me some code I could have a look at it and see if I >can find
>something.

Ok.  Let me try the things above and if I run into any more problems I'll email you the code.

Thanks,
Erik