Xfce4-dev digest, Vol 1 #428 - 16 msgs

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue Apr 8 21:57:32 CEST 2003

On 08 Apr 2003 21:39:46 +0200
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Erik,
>
> Moving the panel slightly off screen is definitely the wrong way to
> go. That wouldn't make much sense on systems that use Xinerama with a
> top/bottom layout.

Yeah, you need to use code similar to the corner snapping code that is
part of the move handler widget when calculating the edge to hide to.

> Hiding the panel is not any better and a bit overhead.
>
> The only way to do this "properly" IMO, is the put all the panel
> widgets is a "top" container that can be hidden when the panel is
> "autohidden" and visible otherwise. Then to resize the main panel
> window. This is what I did in the taskbar code, you might want to take
> a look at this, it's fairly simple.

Naturally, we have such a container, so that's easy enough.

> Note that the hiding side depends on the panel position. For example,
> in the top half on the screen, in horizontal mode, the panel should
> hide to the top, while on the right half in vertical mode, it should
> hide to the right.
>
> Using the method describe above, one wouldn't even need to move the
> panel to a screen edge when hidden. Using a small timeout for
> hide/show, the panel could be left at its current position (the
> timeout would be used to detect when the mouse just "flies" over the
> panel.

Sorry, what do you mean exactly here? The autohide should go to the edge
so usually the window will have the be moved ... Or do you simply mean
that there should be a delay for hiding/unhiding?

	Jasper