How to play with xfwm4?

Jonathan Gardner gardnerj at provide.net
Sat Sep 14 18:21:47 CEST 2002

On Friday, the 13th day of September, in the year of our Lord 2002, at
12:13 PM
the esteemed person of letters, Olivier Fourdan quoth:

OF> Hi Botsie,
OF>
OF> > You know, I think this is going to be a FAQ. I have a feeling that
OF> > this is a feature a lot of people are going to need. IAC, it is a
OF> > feature that is available in XFce 3. At a very minimum, shouldn't
OF> > XFce4 have all of XFce 3's features?
OF>
OF> Definitely not. Look at sawfish vs. metacity, people prefer metacity
OF> even if sawfish was 10 times more configurable (using lisp).
OF>
OF> Most people don't care about 90% of the options and live with the
OF> defaults. No need to bloat the software for 100% of the people just to
OF> cover the needs of maybe 10% of them.
OF>
OF> Moreover, such configurability should be handled by the application
OF> through the wm specs. If the window manager allows overridding apps
OF> settings, you loose consistency.

This may or may not be related, but I've noticed that my Alt-F* actions
are different than what is in my .xfwm4rc file. for instance my file says
the Alt-f5 should make a window sticky,  but in actuality Alt-F3 does
that. Any idea what's causing this? My biggest use for this is gKrellM
which I don't want to use window borders with.
The only other thing I miss is session management. Is there an app that'll
allow xfwm to remember what was running and start them up where they were
when I logged out yet? Right now my Xfce4 file in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/
starts, xfwm4, xfbd4, xfdeskmenu, gkrellm and lastly xfce4.
Besides this, I'm loving it. My only complaint with Xfce3 was that I could
never make it "pretty" (to me). That is MORE that solved with xfwm4.  I
love the retro theme. And many many high praises for the person or people
responsible for xfdeskmenu.

Cheers,
Jonathan