How to play with xfwm4?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Fri Sep 13 12:13:32 CEST 2002

Hi Botsie,

> You know, I think this is going to be a FAQ. I have a feeling that this
> is a feature a lot of people are going to need. IAC, it is a feature
> that is available in XFce 3. At a very minimum, shouldn't XFce4 have all
> of XFce 3's features?

Definitely not. Look at sawfish vs. metacity, people prefer metacity
even if sawfish was 10 times more configurable (using lisp).

Most people don't care about 90% of the options and live with the
defaults. No need to bloat the software for 100% of the people just to
cover the needs of maybe 10% of them.

Moreover, such configurability should be handled by the application
through the wm specs. If the window manager allows overridding apps
settings, you loose consistency.

Olivier               <fourdan at xfce.org>            http://www.xfce.org
XFce is a lightweight  desktop  environment  for  various *NIX systems.
Designed for productivity,  it loads  and  executes  applications fast,
while conserving  system resources. XFce is all free software, released
under GNU General Public License.    Available from http://www.xfce.org