modified xfce4 xfwm4 xfce-utils and libxfcegui4

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sat Nov 9 17:34:33 CET 2002

Jonathan,

> Well no, I don't have anything installed anywhere else. I'm pretty careful
> about that. When I try tp start xfce4 from a terminal I see:
> [gardnerj at localhost gardnerj]$ xfce4
> ** Message: xfce4: Cannot connect to session manager
> Killed
> [gardnerj at localhost gardnerj]$

Don't get confused by "Cannot connect to session manager", it's just
that you're not running a session manager (such as gnome-session, or kde
session or xsm) so xfce4 cannot connect to it. It's absolutely not
mandatory and xfce4 can perfectly w/out a session manager.

> (xfce4:16279): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkmain.c: line 994 (gtk_main_quit):
> assertion `main_loops != NULL' failed Killed
> [root at localhost gardnerj]#

What version of gtk+ are you running ?

Olivier               <fourdan at xfce.org>            http://www.xfce.org
XFce is a lightweight  desktop  environment  for  various *NIX systems.
Designed for productivity,  it loads  and  executes  applications fast,
while conserving  system resources. XFce is all free software, released
under GNU General Public License.    Available from http://www.xfce.org