modified xfce4 xfwm4 xfce-utils and libxfcegui4

Jonathan Gardner gardnerj at provide.net
Sat Nov 9 15:40:59 CET 2002

On Saturday, the 09th day of November, in the year of our Lord 2002, at
10:49 AM the esteemed person of letters, Jasper Huijsmans quoth:

JH> Hi Jonathan,
JH>
JH> On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 23:17:36 -0500
JH> Jonathan Gardner <gardnerj at provide.net> wrote:
JH> [...]
JH> >
JH> > I'm not sure why but xfce4 won't start for me now. It starts
JH> > thrashing the disk and eventually just quits. I downloaded the CVS
JH> > just a few minutes ago and did a make distclean just to be on the
JH> > double safe side and rebuilt everything. Just doesn't work. :-(
JH> >
JH>
JH> I just build from a fresh CVS checkout to test it, but everything
JH> seems to work for me.
JH>
JH> Are there any error messages?
JH>
JH> Just to be sure, can it be that there are older versions of some
JH> plugins installed in a different location? That certainly will give
JH> problems.

Well no, I don't have anything installed anywhere else. I'm pretty careful
about that. When I try tp start xfce4 from a terminal I see:
[gardnerj at localhost gardnerj]$ xfce4
** Message: xfce4: Cannot connect to session manager
Killed
[gardnerj at localhost gardnerj]$

with much disk thrashing and CPU usage before it pops up "killed"
If I try to start it as root (which I tried just to be sure it wasn't just
my personal settings) I see:
[root at localhost gardnerj]# xfce4
** Message: xfce4: Cannot connect to session manager

(xfce4:16279): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkmain.c: line 994 (gtk_main_quit):
assertion `main_loops != NULL' failed Killed
[root at localhost gardnerj]#

That's it as far as error messages. :-(

Jonathan