dissappearing icons

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 15 14:08:54 CEST 2002

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 10:16:32PM +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 19:19, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> > Right, it seems to be working now :-)
> >
> > CVS snapshot here:
> >
> > 	http://rox.sourceforge.net/snapshots/
> >
> > Still very experimental, but minimising a window should make an icon for
> > it appear in the top-left corner of the pinboard.
>
> Neat ;-) Excuse my ignorance, but why the root window shows all grey
> instead of the backdrop image ?

Because it's impossible to do AA fonts unless the filer owns the
background (ParentRelative isn't good enough). We might be able to set the
background from a root window property if XFCE sets one, but it's probably
easier just to leave it up to the filer.

You can use 'Backdrop...' from the bottom of the pinboard menu to choose a
backdrop, which works well with the filer's thumbnails feature (drag the
image thumbnail onto the backdrop dialog).

If you want to do something fancy (random backdrop at startup, etc), you
can send the SetBackdropApp message to the filer (see Chapter 8 of the
manual for an example).

You can set a default backdrop by placing a 'pb_XFCE' file in
/usr/local/share/Choices/ROX-Filer (or another directory in CHOICESPATH)
at install time, and getting XFCE to run 'rox -p XFCE' on login).
If the user changes the backdrop, the new config will be saved to
~/Choices/ROX-Filer/pb_XFCE, again subject to CHOICESPATH.

> > Anyway, it works with sawfish. Will try with xfwm4 when the automake
> > errors go away ;-)
>
> It works all right with xfwm4. (and the automake problem is probably
> gone now)

Yes, works here too now. Except, trying to kill it didn't work :-/

Hope that clears things up a bit ;-)

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk		tal197 at users.sourceforge.net