Xfwm 4 screen captures

Jasper Huijsmans j.b.huijsmans at hetnet.nl
Wed May 8 08:39:23 CEST 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002 02:07:42 +0000
Joakim Andreasson <joakim.andreasson at gmx.net> wrote:

[...]

> Ok, you asked. The following are some things I've been thinking of
> from time to time, although I could live without them.
>
> 1. More "object orientation" in the panel launchers. As of now, you
> kan drag an executable from frex xftree to the "Add icon..." fields on
> top of the subpanel and create an entry in the subpanel to launch it.
> How about allow dragging of other fileypes and have the resulting
> entries opening these files with the applications defined for their
> types in frex xtree.reg or wherever such associations are to be made
> in xfce4? (Gnome, KDE, CDE and Windows from v3.x IIRC allows this, or
> something like it in their contexts.)

That could be interesting, I guess.

> 2. Defining the panel launcher structure with a directory tree
> containing*.deskop files, which could then be edited with a file
> manager. This is the way other Desktop Environments does it, although
> it might add unnecessary complexity as compared to a "single file"
> design. It would, however, allow greater compatibility with other
> environments, and be more standards compliant.

I guess that could be done, at least for the subpanels. It needs to be
fairly restrictive to be able to describe the panel structure (one level
submenus, although there has been a suggestion for nested menus). I'm
not sure it will be very beneficial and I also don't immediately see the
advantage of being able to edit the files with an editor.

> 3. Animated trashcan! Like the CDE!!! Ok, not that one. I'll shut up
> now.

I have that one right now in my preliminary implementation :-)

Thanks for the input,
	Jasper