Want to reimplement xinerama : how ?

Jasper Huijsmans huysmans at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 1 15:51:46 CEST 2002

At 03:26 PM 8/1/02 +0200, you wrote:
>Jasper Huijsmans <huysmans at users.sourceforge.net> disait récemment que :
>
> >[\/snip\/]
>
> > Right, the person you need to talk to is Olivier. Unfortunately he is away
> > now for a few weeks (check his e-mail to the list in the archives).
>
>Yeah I saw :(
>
> > What I can tell you is that _nothing_ is the same between xfwm and xfwm4.
> > The new wm is based on oroborus and has no code in common with the current
> > xfwm which was originally based on fvwm2.
>
>That won't help me more :) But I will try.
>
> > You seem to be somewhat of an expert in the area of xinerama, so I
> guess you
>
>Hum, not really an expert but I can do something (I guess) :)
>
> > are best qualified yourself to decide what you can use from the old
> > implementation.
>
>Although I will try but what I really want is to be able to do something
>to help. If it is not reimplementing xinerama (I can wiat for oliv), I
>can try to do anything else :)
>
> >All I know is that xfwm had one of the first and one of the
> > best implementations of xinerama, but I really know nothing whatsoever
> about
> > that.
>
>This is true, this is THE best I have ever tried !
>
> > For xfwm4 you probably just have to start reading the code to see how it
> > works. I think anyone who knows about xinerama should be able to understand
> > it ;-)
>
>Yep ! I already have started the source code reading but this is not
>clear enough for me to be able to do something. Apart from that xinerama
>code is really simple to understand but this is not where i get problems
>:) Mine is more on the complete achitecture of the project and
>unfortunatelly there is neither API doc, nor arch doc :(
>
> > Sorry I can't help you more,
>
>This is better than nothing :) I think I'd better wait for oliv return
>and try to do something else (maybe into xfce4 as you still are there :)
>Tell me if help is needed into xfce4 as there is no TODO file :)

Good suggestion, that, a TODO file ;-) Until now I didn't really have a
clear idea about where I was going, but now it's starting to shape up so I
could try. I don't really have time now (I'm at work), but I'll try to think
of something.

For starters please just run it and do stuff with it. See what works, what
doesn't, what you like or not. For instance there have been some reports of
crashes that I can't reproduce, maybe you can.

The clock plugin sucks! The clock widget should be ported to GTK2 (or
rewritten).

You could also start something yourself. The idea for XFce4 (the desktop
environment) is to have many small modules that work together to provide the
functionality.

One thing that would be really nice is to have a root menu app. It should be
easily customizable through a GUI and it should be able to incorporate GNOME
and KDE menus (and Debian and Mandrake ...), but that could be added later.

Another thing is to port the gtk theme creator of xfce to GTK2. BTW, I'm
still not completely happy about settings management for xfce right now.

Anyway, there are so many things missing from xfce that I'm sure you can
think of many other things that need to be done.

Thanks,
         Jasper