Want to reimplement xinerama : how ?

Jasper Huijsmans huysmans at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 1 14:58:25 CEST 2002

Hi zeDek,

At 02:22 PM 8/1/02 +0200, you wrote:

>Hello fellow coders !
>
>As promised, I wanna contribute to xfce4/xfwm4 development. My first
>attempt would be to reintroduce the xinerama support for version 4 of
>xfwm.
>
>As I've already add xinerama support into other projects, I think I can
>do it too here :)
>
>The only one problem is I don't know what changes have been made since
>xfce :)
>
>SO it would be gratefull if a developper could tell me where to add
>xinerama things (files,...)
>
>And in another part, would be helpfull if somebody tells me what have
>changed from xfce on the structure side. So I'm asking me whether
>xinerama.[hc] from stable tree is still usable (with some minor (?)
>changes) under the devel tree. If it is let me know as I could
>add/modify it.
>
>I don't know if I'm clear but mail me for more infos.

Right, the person you need to talk to is Olivier. Unfortunately he is away
now for a few weeks (check his e-mail to the list in the archives).

What I can tell you is that _nothing_ is the same between xfwm and xfwm4.
The new wm is based on oroborus and has no code in common with the current
xfwm which was originally based on fvwm2.

You seem to be somewhat of an expert in the area of xinerama, so I guess you
are best qualified yourself to decide what you can use from the old
implementation. All I know is that xfwm had one of the first and one of the
best implementations of xinerama, but I really know nothing whatsoever about
that.

For xfwm4 you probably just have to start reading the code to see how it
works. I think anyone who knows about xinerama should be able to understand
it ;-)

Sorry I can't help you more,

Jasper