Issues with 4.16.2 on Slackware64-15.0

Piscium groknok at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 11:27:26 CET 2024

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 at 16:03, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> New question: Why can I not delete ~/Desktop? It always re-appears with
> perms 755 and neither I nor root can delete it. I've never used Desktop or
> any of the default capitalized directories in $HOME.

I am on Arch but this probably applies to other distros.

quote: "xdg-user-dirs-update is normally run automatically at the
start of a user session to update the XDG user dirs according to the
users locale."
https://man.archlinux.org/man/xdg-user-dirs-update.1

on Arch this tool comes in this package:

 pacman -Qi xdg-user-dirs
Name            : xdg-user-dirs
Version         : 0.18-1
Description     : Manage user directories like ~/Desktop and ~/Music
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : sh  systemd
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : xdg-user-dirs-gtk
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 145.02 KiB
Packager        : Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <heftig at archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Tue 09 Aug 2022 21:14:56
Install Date    : Fri 19 Aug 2022 19:53:35
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : Yes
Validated By    : Signature