xfce4-power-manager is confused/confusing

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Jun 22 08:40:36 CEST 2023

Johannes Lips <johannes.lips at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Although, I am not a native speaker and also not so much into the
> technical details, I find this wording of "waiting to discharge/charge"
> a bit confusing.

I (and I am a native English speaker) have previously queried this
wording, i doesn't make any sense to me either.

> Can someone perhaps explain how this is technically possible or
> implemented here? What does this waiting mean here? How is it possible
> that both batteries are waiting to discharge or charge without an
> external power connection?
>
> I think there already was another user asking this. [1]

Yes, it was me, I am also the OP for these messages.

By the way I fixed my immediate problem (both batteries 'waiting to
discharge') by disabling the internal battery in the BIOS setup and
removing the removable battery.  Then when I restarted everything was
back to normal.  I think I may have provoked a bug in the hardware
charging system and the 'waiting to discharge' status was just a
symptom.

> Thanks
> Johannes
>
> [1] https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce/2023-April/037958.html
> On 21/06/2023 21:12, Matias De lellis wrote:
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > Don't worry.. your device charging works fine, but there was an error
> > writing that labels.
> >
> > You could request/apply a backport of this MR:
> >
> > *
> > <https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-manager/-/merge_requests/44>https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-manager/-/merge_requests/44
> <https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-manager/-/merge_requests/44>
>

> > Regards,
> > Matias
> >

> > El martes, 20 de junio de 2023, 05:47:40 ART, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net>
> > escribió:
> >

> > I am running xubuntu 23.04 on my Lenovo t470 laptop.
> >
> > The xcfe4-power-manager recently seems to be getting very confused
> > about the batteries (the t470 has two batteries).
> >
> > I have just restarted the system with no external power connected and
> > the panel icon claims the battery is charging. If I click on the panel
> > icon it says:-
> >
> >      Sanyo O1AV419
> >      Waiting to discharge (31%)
> >
> >      Sanyo 01AV422
> >      Waiting to discharge (49%)
> >

> > Obviousy it's *not* actually charging, there's no power connected and
> > the percentages seem to be frozen at 31% and 49% so, according to
> > xcfe4-power-manager the batteries aren't discraging either!
> >
> > It always used to work flawlessly, this seems to be a recent problem
> > though I'm not quite sure when it started.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong and/or any way to fix it?
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green

Chris Green
·