Two monitors with very different resolutions

André Miranda andre42m at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 02:00:16 CET 2020

Hi,
HiDPI is something that has improved a lot with the move to Gtk 3 but still
there are rough edges.

If you only use HiDPI monitors, it should be just a matter of Scaling in
Appearance > Settings. Perhaps some more fine tuning[1] could be needed.

When mixing HiDPI with regular monitors things tend to be less than
optimal, namely you have to apply xrandr scaling to one of the monitors.
In 4.14, there is a hidden option (use Settings Editor and explore the
Display channel) while in the upcoming 4.16 that's conveniently exposed in
the UI[2].

1 - https://dougie.io/linux/hidpi-retina-i3wm/
2 - https://andreldm.com/2020/09/12/xfce4.16pre1#settings

Hope that helps,