Running Dual Desktops on Xubuntu 20.04?

Jeffery Small jefferysmall at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 18:45:13 CEST 2020

Alex:

Thanks for the response.  Yes, Olivier and I have discussed this for the
past year or so and I do believe the limitation was imposed by the move to
GTK3.  However, I also saw some reports many months ago that
multiple-monitor support had been added back into GTK3 but the required
libs had not made it into the 19.10 release.   I really do not know the
details of what is going on with GTK  and whether the ability (if it
exists) was implemented by the remainder of the desktop, panel, etc.
components, but this "rumor"  is what prompted me to ask about this.  If
there is any movement on this front, I would expect the people maintaining
these various components to know what's going on.  Hopefully they can
comment here.

I'll add that running separate independent desktops (Zaphod mode) is a far
superior configuration to simply chaining all monitors together into one
large screen and I would really appreciate it if this capability was
restored, as it was possible to do in Xubuntu 18.04.

Regards,
Jeff Small