Prevent Thunar "Open with" to permanently change the default programme

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Jul 10 15:19:37 CEST 2020

On 7/10/20 8:37 AM, Harald Judt wrote:
> Am 10.07.20 um 11:39 schrieb Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI:
>> On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 10:05:59 +0200
>> Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Since a few versions I see this behaviour in Thunar: if I open a file
>>> with the Open with menu and select a programme which is different from
>>> the default one, that 'new' programme becomes the default one. For
>>> instance I have most audio files opening by default (i.e. double click)
>>> with smplayer, if I once I open them via "Open with", say, in sound
>>> converter, then (Thunar?) sets sound converter as default.
>>>
>>> Any idea on how I can prevent this?
>> One of the reasons I dropped Thunar, and use PCManFM...
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ron.
> In fact, thunar does *not* set a default application for open with without
> user consent. You would have to check the box in the applications list dialog
> before clicking on ok to do so. Probably that is what is missing here.

Oh so THAT is how you change the default!

I have been putting up with Xarchiver being the default and having to
right click and then click on Engrampa.  I looked all over for setting
the default archiver program and could not find it.  Never thought to
click on open app option and see what the dialog presented.  Afterall,
Engrampa was in the list...

So I have never had Thunar switch the default app even when I wanted it
to...