Prevent Thunar "Open with" to permanently change the default programme

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Fri Jul 10 14:37:06 CEST 2020

Am 10.07.20 um 11:39 schrieb Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI:
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 10:05:59 +0200
> Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Since a few versions I see this behaviour in Thunar: if I open a file
>> with the Open with menu and select a programme which is different from
>> the default one, that 'new' programme becomes the default one. For
>> instance I have most audio files opening by default (i.e. double click)
>> with smplayer, if I once I open them via "Open with", say, in sound
>> converter, then (Thunar?) sets sound converter as default.
>>
>> Any idea on how I can prevent this?
>
> One of the reasons I dropped Thunar, and use PCManFM...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ron.

In fact, thunar does *not* set a default application for open with without
user consent. You would have to check the box in the applications list dialog
before clicking on ok to do so. Probably that is what is missing here.

As long as no default application is set, it will simply use the last
application that you have used to open the file when double-clicking on it (I
think that could also have been used by any other GTK application). So to fix
this, make the application you want to use the default by clicking the
"default" checkbox in "Open with other application..."

Regards,
Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'

PGP Key ID: 4FFFAB21B8580ABD
Fingerprint: E073 6DD8 FF40 9CF2 0665 11D4 4FFF AB21 B858 0ABD