ANNOUNCE: xfce4-panel 4.15.1 released (Andrzej)

Andrzej andrzejr at xfce.org
Thu Jan 16 00:28:00 CET 2020

Hi Simon,

There was never a consensus regarding switching to CSD, and will never
be, because:

- Xfce is an X11 desktop and as such it has to work and look well with
other X11-compatible components. Removing or interfering with the
third-party WM's ability to handle window decorations makes Xfce
non-compliant X11 desktop. This is not a hypothetical issue. Until
recently even Xfwm4 didn't support CSD correctly and there is no lack of
WM's that will have problems with it because they handle windows
differently. Xfce as a small project strove for being standard
compliant, not pushing our way of doing things onto others. Basically,
for as long as we use X11 SSD is non-optional, whether we like it or not.

- Community is split - some users strongly prefer CSD, many others
strongly prefer SSD. The latter part includes new users who have
switched to Xfce because of similar changes implemented in other
projects. If you find my email harsh, wait for them.

You've mentioned discussions and voting - the only thing I've seen was a
couple of posts pretty much announcing your decision, where critical
opinions (mine included) were swept under the carpet because of "limited
manpower". This is not how things work - if you want a feature - you
have to find manpower to implement and maintain it. Controversial
features are particularly tricky - say there was a vote (was it?) and
30% (just an example) of people voted against the feature. Are you
really going to throw them under the bus to provide eye candy to the
remaining 70%?

To be clear - CSD is a valuable feature, even if mostly concerning
aesthetics, and many Xfce/Xfwm4 users will like it. I'm against the
current non-optional implementation, not having CSD at all. Just add a
user accessible option for opting in/out and be done with that.

Cheers,

Andrzej