Debian Buster -- desktop doesn't appear

Thu Oct 31 14:39:27 CET 2019

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 22:14:51 +0300,
nosov vladimir<ruvn33 at yandex.ru> wrote:

>I'm on Debian Buster, using nvidia 418.74-1. Recently  Xfce desktop
>stopped to show up after login via lightdm. Screen showing standard
>Debian wallpaper, but not my wallpaper, and everything else misses.
>
>Switching to text console (ctrl alt f1) and back brings everything in
>order.
>
>I've noticed that mouse cursor changes its shape when I move it,
>according to invisible windows it currently hovers over.
>
>Clearing .cache/sessions, suggested on other sites, didn't help.
>
>In .xsession-errors there's strange entry saying
>"xfdesktop_file_icon_manager_add_icon(): att" instead of
>"xfdesktop_file_icon_manager_add_icon(): attempting ...", after which
>there're some errors.
>
>Disabling all entries in "Session and Startup | Autostart" tab doesn't
>help.
>
>Freshly created user isn't affected -- after lightdm logs in, desktop
>appears.
>
>Perhaps, there some logs I could check further to pinpoint root cause?
>
>Thanks!

I don't have much help, but run into the same, and on a multiscreen
setup it only affects one of my screens.

I use three screens, and I have your described problem on the one I
have furthest to the right, and in pivot mode, rotated 90 degrees. Also
it is one connected through HDMI, while the other two that works
fine uses displayport.

Also Xfce on Debian Buster, Nvidia 418.74-1.

Just some more data, to help pinpoint the problem.

-- Andreas Rönnquist
mailinglists at gusnan.se
andreas at ronnquist.net