Xfce Digest, Vol 191, Issue 7

Sean Davis sean at bluesabre.org
Wed Oct 23 00:27:46 CEST 2019

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019, at 5:32 PM, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:
> El 22/10/19 a las 19:55, houghi escribió:
> > On 2019-10-22 14:19, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:
> >
> >> - As you can see the appearance of CSD and non-CSD windows are
> >> completely different. Mousepad Vs. Pluma. Not the same borders, not
> >> the same shadows, not the same window title, not the same buttons or
> >> icons, not the same lights... this is an objective problem, I think.
> >>

> > I personaly hate the wasted space of the title and the icons.Minimize,
> > maximize and close can be done as fast if not faster with keys. And I
> > oftem minimize or maximize only horizontal or vertical. And I do not
> > look at the title at any time. I see what the program is. I see more
> > details in the tabs if they exist. If not, I still see what it is.
> >
> > So a great option could be the ability to turn off title bars on a
> > window or program level. e.g. how Windowmaker does it. Right click and
> > all the options can be changed on different levels. RTo me that
> > flexability is thinking of the user.
> >
> > Fort now I use the "Border-only" theme that puts a 1 pixel border around
> > the window and removes the window title bar. The theme can be found here
> > https://www.xfce-look.org/p/1016214/
> >
> > To further comment on this issue. I am a user. I do not completely
> > comprehend the situation to bne honest. I just want things to work and
> > look as I like it. If I don't, I go to something else. Probably back to
> > Windowmaker due to change the windows settings per window as well as
> > much easier by just right clicking and going into the menu.
> >
> > houghi
>
> Of course, one of the things I love from XFCE is you can configure XFCE
> behaviour to fits your preferences.
>
> In fact, both of us can configure XFCE to having a coherent and
> personalized environment although our preferences are totally different.
>
> The point is: Will CSD improve this or obstruct this?

CSD will neither improve or obstruct this. We plan to implement this the Xfce way, where we gain from the improvements without sacrificing our configurability.

> In my case, if gtk3-nocsd won't be able to be applied in a complete and
> easy way, CSD will prevent me to do things nowadays I'm able to do with
> XFCE. If the new XFCE version can work in one way I could disable CSD,
> it is perfect to me. We both, the CSD lovers and CSD haters will be able
> to configure XFCE and fits our preferences, like now.
>
> Will this be possible?

I guess I need a bit more information here... what benefits do you get from using gtk3-nocsd? Is it just for consistency with non-GTK3 applications, lost features, something else?