Xfce Digest, Vol 191, Issue 7

Andrzej andrzejr at xfce.org
Tue Oct 22 19:19:41 CEST 2019

On 22/10/2019 12:45, Sean Davis wrote:
> I guess it's also critically important to make this distinction. We
> are going for scenario #2.
>

>       Scenario 2: Full CSD, not full HeaderBar (selected for 4.16)

If you really want work on that, fine, but as a minimum please make it a
run-time option and make sure the non-CSD variant always works.
Otherwise, if you really must follow through, rename/fork the
applications and libraries so that original can be maintained and
developed further under their current names and in their current
repositories. We don't want to end up with another Gnome/Mate mess.

But, why? Why break established X11 patterns for the sake of some visual
candy? Window managers are a central part of X11 user experience. Only
recently my organization has deployed Xfce on user machines because the
hits a good balance between being standards compliant and feature rich.
 From the usability point of view CSD have a negative value.

I feel bad complaining about it because I haven't worked on Xfce for
years now, but if I don't do it, our user will. I disagree with your
estimate of the scale of the issue - being usability focused and
respectful of user preferences became our key feature since Gnome3.

Best regards,

Andrzej