Question regarding toggling between workspaces

Lukasz Majewski l.majewski at majess.pl
Fri Jul 12 09:42:04 CEST 2019

Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the reply.

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 19:10, Lukasz Majewski <l.majewski at majess.pl>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Xfce community,
> >
> > I do have the following use case:
> >
> > I do use terminal on workspace 1, then I want to check something on
> > workspace 3 (firefox) and then I would like to come back to my
> > previous workspace (workspace 1).
> >
> > The described above use case requires toggling between current and
> > previous workspace(s) - workspace 1 and 3.
> >
> > By "previous" workspace I mean the on on which I was previously
> > working, not the adjacent one.
> >
> > I've found some discussion on the web [1], but I cannot find the
> > setting called "remember previous desktop" nor any example of
> > setting this toggling.
> >
> > And of course I would like to assign the key shortcut for it - for
> > example Super+ESC.
> >
> > The xfwm4-tweaks-settings → workspaces allows me to set to remember
> > the last used workspace
> >
> > When it is checked I can toggle between workspaces with pressing the
> > same key by which I got to the workspace.
> >
> > I also assume that the key shortcut for "previous workspace" shall
> > do exactly that?
> >
> > Unfortunately on my setup I cannot do this as key shortcut to
> > "previous workspace" moves me to adjacent one.
> >
> > Any hints on solving this issue?
>
> That's not how that works, previous and next workspace are indeed the
> adjacent workspaces.

If I may ask - what is then the difference between previous/next
workspace and move to workspace left and right?

They do the same operation.

I (apparently) wrongly assumed that I could use "previous" workspace
key binding to get the one on which I was previously working.

> "remember previous workspace" means that pressing *the same shortcut*
> twice will take you back to the previous workspace.

Yes, this works as expected.

> For example, you have 4 workspaces, and you're on workspace 1:
>
>  [_1_][ 2 ] [ 3 ][ 4 ]
>
> You press [Ctrl]+[F4] to get to workspace 4:

And this is what I do expect and how it works now.

> Now, if "remember previous workspace" is set, pressing [Ctrl]+[F4] a
> second time will take you back to Workspace 1:

Instead of remembering the exact number of the workspace ([CTRL]+[F4]
in this case) I would like to press e.g. Super+ESC (always the same key
combination) to go to previous workspace (in this case [_4_]).

The problematic part is to avoid second pressing of [Ctrl]+[F4] (or any
other Fx key) and replace it with a single key - e.g. Super + ESC.