Question regarding toggling between workspaces

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 13:54:17 CEST 2019

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 09:42, Lukasz Majewski <l.majewski at majess.pl> wrote:
> If I may ask - what is then the difference between previous/next
> workspace and move to workspace left and right?
>
> They do the same operation.

That's layout dependent...

[ 1 ][ 2 ]
[ 3 ][ 4 ]

or

[ 1 ][ 2 ][ 3 ][ 4 ]

or

[ 1 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 4 ]

Depending on those layouts, previous/next and left/right are different.

> I (apparently) wrongly assumed that I could use "previous" workspace
> key binding to get the one on which I was previously working.
>
> > "remember previous workspace" means that pressing *the same shortcut*
> > twice will take you back to the previous workspace.
>
> Yes, this works as expected.
>

> > For example, you have 4 workspaces, and you're on workspace 1:
> >
> >  [_1_][ 2 ] [ 3 ][ 4 ]
> >
> > You press [Ctrl]+[F4] to get to workspace 4:
> >
> >  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ 3 ][_4_]
>
> And this is what I do expect and how it works now.
>

> > Now, if "remember previous workspace" is set, pressing [Ctrl]+[F4] a
> > second time will take you back to Workspace 1:

> Instead of remembering the exact number of the workspace ([CTRL]+[F4]
> in this case) I would like to press e.g. Super+ESC (always the same key
> combination) to go to previous workspace (in this case [_4_]).
>
> The problematic part is to avoid second pressing of [Ctrl]+[F4] (or any
> other Fx key) and replace it with a single key - e.g. Super + ESC.

No, that's not how it works, there is no dedicated shortcut for that,
you just use the same shortcut multiple times.

Cheers,
Olivier