Question regarding toggling between workspaces

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 09:11:37 CEST 2019

Hi,

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 19:10, Lukasz Majewski <l.majewski at majess.pl> wrote:

> Dear Xfce community,
>
> I do have the following use case:
>
> I do use terminal on workspace 1, then I want to check something on
> workspace 3 (firefox) and then I would like to come back to my previous
> workspace (workspace 1).
>
> The described above use case requires toggling between current and
> previous workspace(s) - workspace 1 and 3.
>
> By "previous" workspace I mean the on on which I was previously working,
> not the adjacent one.
>
> I've found some discussion on the web [1], but I cannot find the
> setting called "remember previous desktop" nor any example of setting
> this toggling.
>
> And of course I would like to assign the key shortcut for it - for
> example Super+ESC.
>
> The xfwm4-tweaks-settings → workspaces allows me to set to remember the
> last used workspace
>
> When it is checked I can toggle between workspaces with pressing the
> same key by which I got to the workspace.
>
> I also assume that the key shortcut for "previous workspace" shall do
> exactly that?
>
> Unfortunately on my setup I cannot do this as key shortcut to "previous
> workspace" moves me to adjacent one.
>
> Any hints on solving this issue?

That's not how that works, previous and next workspace are indeed the
adjacent workspaces.

"remember previous workspace" means that pressing *the same shortcut*
twice will take you back to the previous workspace.

For example, you have 4 workspaces, and you're on workspace 1:

You press [Ctrl]+[F4] to get to workspace 4:

Now, if "remember previous workspace" is set, pressing [Ctrl]+[F4] a
second time will take you back to Workspace 1:

Cheers,
Olivier