How to get panel plugins running with Xfce 4.13?
andre42m at gmail.com
Wed May 16 05:13:47 CEST 2018
Unfortunately we don't have a comprehensive guide on how to port plugins
to GTK3, probably you already came across this page:
Still, the best way to learn how to port plugins is to study how other
plugins were ported, most of the job follows the same patterns. It's
roughly like this:
1) bump dependencies: gtk+-2.0 -> gtk+-3.0, libxfce4ui-1 ->
libxfce4ui-2, libxfce4panel-1.0 -> libxfce4panel-2.0...
2) add X-XFCE-API=2.0 to .destkop.in
3) try to build
4) if it fails, find out what's wrong, usually missing (removed) gtk
5) ignore deprecations for the moment and try to make it run in the panel
6) fix the glitches and replace deprecated widgets/functions
Now, speaking about the plugins themselves:
- xfce4-cpugraph-plugin: there's a WIP which would be interesting to
pick up where that guy left off.
- xfce4-mailwatch-plugin: I'm not aware of any WIP nor have any idea how
hard it is to port.
- xfce4-weather-plugin: Simon started to port it , I don't know how
far he's gone, but IIRC it proved to be tricky.
With regards to "Do you know of companies or people, that could be
contracted to do the work?" I think the devs (not many) are the ones
more qualified to the task, though I can't speak about their
availability. I always worked on Xfce as a hobby, never made a penny
from it (not complaining), but I'd would love to take a Xfce freelance
 - https://github.com/oliwer/xfce4-cpugraph-plugin/tree/gtk3
 - https://git.xfce.org/users/ochosi/xfce4-weather-plugin/
On 15-05-2018 07:00, xfce-request at xfce.org wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 11:24:10 +0200
> From: Paul Menzel <pmenzel+xfce at molgen.mpg.de>
> To: xfce at xfce.org
> Cc: Sean Davis <smd.seandavis at gmail.com>, Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at>
> Subject: How to get panel plugins running with Xfce 4.13?
> Message-ID: <05c83fba-6dc0-475f-9321-bdf4261f843e at molgen.mpg.de>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"; Format="flowed"
> Dear Xfce folks,
> We are currently testing Xfce 4.13 and noticed, that – as expected and
> documented  – some panel plugins do not work anymore.
> Notably, the three plugins below are used here.
> 1. xfce4-cpugraph-plugin 
> 2. xfce4-mailwatch-plugin 
> 3. xfce4-weather-plugin 
> Is there an update guide how to port plugins to GTK+ 3? Do you know of
> companies or people, that could be contracted to do the work?
> Kind regards,
>  https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap
>  https://git.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-cpugraph-plugin/
>  https://git.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-mailwatch-plugin/
>  https://git.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Xfce