Multiple screens with multiple workspaces?

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Sat Nov 11 19:14:21 CET 2017

Hello,

I used to have a PC with an NVidia card and I used the propriatary
drivers and did configuration with nvidia-settings. That way I was able
to get my multiple monitors run multiple workspaces individually.
Downside was no dragging from monitor to monitor. Updise was that if I
changed the workspace from one monitor, it would not change it on the
other monitor. To me personally, that is the best way to do it
(Personal, not trying to convert anybody)

I have a new PC that has 2 HDMI (and a DVI) and with XFCE I have the
ability to to have them either mirror the screens, or have them as one
big workspace (Xinerama).

That means if I watch a movie on Monitor 1, I can not change the
workspace on monitor 2, as that would change it on monitor 1 as well. So
how can I turn off Xinerama, while it won't be mirror.

Is there a way to easily do this? Because I do not want to install the
NVidia card, although that will be the last option. I could also start
to tinker with the xorg.conf, but I have done so in the past and it
almost never worked correctly.

I have looked at ARandR and that just places the layout somewhere and
basically does the same as the Display configuration. An easy way to do
this would be nice. It used to be the default before Xinerama existed.

houghi