Thuanar: mounting entry in /etc/fstab

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 13:03:39 CET 2017

On 21/12/17 12:26, Silvio Knizek wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 21.12.2017, 10:23 +0100 schrieb Lorenzo Sutton:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have an entry for mounting a webdav directory in /etc/fstab like
>> this:
>>
>> https://example.com/webdav /home/user/my_mount_point davfs
>> rw,user,uid=lo,noauto 0 0
>>
>> I can correctly mount this as user by doing (in this example):
>>
>> $ mount /home/user/my_mount_poin
>>
>> The mount actually shows in Thunar under the 'DEVICES' shortcuts
>> (enabling shorcuts for the sidepane of course), but if I try mounting
>> it
>> I get a Failed to mount "my_mount_poin".
>> The webdav does require authentication and I do not store
>> credentials
>> (so when I mount from the terminal I do have to enter username and
>> password).
>>
>> Also, if I mount from the terminal, then I can *unmount* it in
>> Thunar.
>>
>> Any idea or tip about mounting?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Lorenzo.
>
> Hi Lorenzo,
>
> my advice would be to actual use gvfs instead of fstab for mounting the
>   DAVFS. For this, hit ctrl + l in thunar to open the location bar and
> insert »davs://example.com/webdav«. This will ask for credentials in
> thunar. You can get the same result by running »gvfs-mount
> davs://example.com/webdav« from the terminal. After this you can create
> a shortcut in thunar so you can open it with a single click.

Hi Silvio, thanks for the tip which works.

In that case though it looks like the root directory is not the intended
one (but that might be a problem with how the webdav is configured on
the server (which anyway is out of my control)?).

Also terminal access is quite complicated as the terminal custom action
doesn't seem to work and gvfs seems to mount in some exotic path like:

/var/run/user/1000/gvfs/dav:host=example.com,ssl=true,prefix=%2Fwebdav/username

Lorenzo.