Thuanar: mounting entry in /etc/fstab

Silvio Knizek killermoehre at gmx.net
Thu Dec 21 12:26:16 CET 2017

Am Donnerstag, den 21.12.2017, 10:23 +0100 schrieb Lorenzo Sutton:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an entry for mounting a webdav directory in /etc/fstab like
> this:
>
> https://example.com/webdav /home/user/my_mount_point davfs
> rw,user,uid=lo,noauto 0 0
>
> I can correctly mount this as user by doing (in this example):
>
> $ mount /home/user/my_mount_poin
>
> The mount actually shows in Thunar under the 'DEVICES' shortcuts
> (enabling shorcuts for the sidepane of course), but if I try mounting
> it
> I get a Failed to mount "my_mount_poin".
> The webdav does require authentication and I do not store
> credentials
> (so when I mount from the terminal I do have to enter username and
> password).
>
> Also, if I mount from the terminal, then I can *unmount* it in
> Thunar.
>
> Any idea or tip about mounting?
>
> Thanks
> Lorenzo.

Hi Lorenzo,

my advice would be to actual use gvfs instead of fstab for mounting the
 DAVFS. For this, hit ctrl + l in thunar to open the location bar and
insert »davs://example.com/webdav«. This will ask for credentials in
thunar. You can get the same result by running »gvfs-mount
davs://example.com/webdav« from the terminal. After this you can create
a shortcut in thunar so you can open it with a single click.

HTH
Silvio