Thuanar: mounting entry in /etc/fstab

Silvio Knizek killermoehre at gmx.net
Thu Dec 21 13:16:25 CET 2017

Am Donnerstag, den 21.12.2017, 13:03 +0100 schrieb Lorenzo Sutton:
> On 21/12/17 12:26, Silvio Knizek wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 21.12.2017, 10:23 +0100 schrieb Lorenzo Sutton:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have an entry for mounting a webdav directory in /etc/fstab
> > > like
> > > this:
> > >
> > > https://example.com/webdav /home/user/my_mount_point davfs
> > > rw,user,uid=lo,noauto 0 0
> > >
> > > I can correctly mount this as user by doing (in this example):
> > >
> > > $ mount /home/user/my_mount_poin
> > >
> > > The mount actually shows in Thunar under the 'DEVICES' shortcuts
> > > (enabling shorcuts for the sidepane of course), but if I try
> > > mounting
> > > it
> > > I get a Failed to mount "my_mount_poin".
> > > The webdav does require authentication and I do not store
> > > credentials
> > > (so when I mount from the terminal I do have to enter username
> > > and
> > > password).
> > >
> > > Also, if I mount from the terminal, then I can *unmount* it in
> > > Thunar.
> > >
> > > Any idea or tip about mounting?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Lorenzo.
> >
> > Hi Lorenzo,
> >
> > my advice would be to actual use gvfs instead of fstab for mounting
> > the
> >   DAVFS. For this, hit ctrl + l in thunar to open the location bar
> > and
> > insert »davs://example.com/webdav«. This will ask for credentials
> > in
> > thunar. You can get the same result by running »gvfs-mount
> > davs://example.com/webdav« from the terminal. After this you can
> > create
> > a shortcut in thunar so you can open it with a single click.
>
> Hi Silvio, thanks for the tip which works.
>
> In that case though it looks like the root directory is not the
> intended
> one (but that might be a problem with how the webdav is configured
> on
> the server (which anyway is out of my control)?).
>
> Also terminal access is quite complicated as the terminal custom
> action
> doesn't seem to work and gvfs seems to mount in some exotic path
> like:
>
> /var/run/user/1000/gvfs/dav:host=example.com,ssl=true,prefix=%2Fwebda
> v/username
>
> Lorenzo.

You can mount sub directories, too, just make the URI longer.
About the path, well, that's intended (the actual path being
/run/user/$UID/gvfs/$urlencodedURI), which puts the mount in your
private name space, so no one else can access it from your machine. But
you can create a symbolic link from your $HOME, if you like, or use tab
completion for the path.