Problems with 4.12

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 26 03:28:04 CEST 2016

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> works over here. Are you sure, the urxvt binary is still available
> installed on your system? It may have been removed during the upgrade.

   I'm sure it does work there. But, it's not working here. Yes, urxvt is
installed and can be invoked by clicking on the desktop and loading it from
there. The OS upgrade upgrades the version, doesn't remove it.

> xfce4-settings-manager
>   -> Desktop
>      -> Icons
>         (un-check all items in the list on the bottom of the dialogue)

   Got that, thanks.

>> change the window manager frame (there used to be multiple styles)
>
> xfce4-settings-manager
>   -> Window Manager
>      -> Style
>         (Lots of themes in the list. Many are probably contained in the
>         Debian package xfwm4-themes)

   The 'themes' are only slight color variations, not how the window frame
looks. in 4.10 (on my slackware-14.1 systems) I can change the appearance of
the window frame, not just its color.

>> , or remove the worthless (to me) manu on the window frame.

   The virtual terminal is not a text editor so I don't need a menu on top
with 'File' 'Edit' 'View' etc. It should be as bare as a console.

> Probably, you right-mouse-click on the desktop. The menu item says, "open
> terminal here". And this is precisely, what it does...

   Clicking on the GUI desktop is not the same as seeing the default cwd as
~/Desktop. The latter is on the command line prompt, not the blue
background.

> All of these can also be configured with the xfce4-settings-editor. But
> this registry like application makes it harder because it does not provide
> a range of possible values.

   Thanks. I'll look at that. Haven't needed it before 4.12 but ...

Regards,

Rich