composing accented characters

Renaud OLGIATI (Ron) renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Thu Sep 8 16:23:04 CEST 2016

On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 15:44:01 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 11:46:22 +0100, Damien Moore wrote:
> >Hello and thank you for your efforts. I am using Xfce 4.10 as
> >distributed with Debian 8. Is there a way to compose accented
> >characters within Xfce? I have worked out how to do this inside
> >LibreOffice by redefining seldom used function keys, but I was
> >thinking of a method of more general application which could be used
> >for notes, emails etc.

> either you need to chose the correct keyboard variant with dead keys,
> IOW not the option "nodeadkeys" or you could use the Unicode to get the
> char by pushing Ctrl+Shit+U and then typing the number of the unicode
> and after that pushing space or enter.
> If you push the dead key  ´   and then   a   you get   á  .
> If you push   Ctrl+Shit+U   and after that the number   00e1   and
> enter   you get   á  ,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters#Latin-1_Supplement .

Another method which makes the accented characters available in all progs, which I use to get the Spanish accented vowels which are unavailable on my French keyboard, as well as ß and ₲, ¡ and ¿ is to add the following lines to my .bashrc file:

xmodmap -e "keycode 66 ="
xmodmap -e "keycode 24 = a A a A aacute adiaeresis acircumflex adiaeresis a A acircumflex adiaeresis a A"
xmodmap -e "keycode 42 = g G g G U20B2 AE ae"
xmodmap -e "keycode  57 = n N n N U00F1 N notsign N n N notsign N"
xmodmap -e "keycode  31 = i I i I iacute idiaeresis icircumflex idiaeresis i I icircumflex idiaeresis i I"
xmodmap -e "keycode  32 = o O o O oacute odiaeresis ocircumflex odiaeresis o O ocircumflex odiaeresis o O"
xmodmap -e "keycode 39 = s S s S U00DF Oslash oslash Oslash s S oslash Oslash s S oslash Oslash"

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing;
        a confusion of the real with the ideal never goes unpunished.