composing accented characters

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Sep 8 16:05:20 CEST 2016

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 11:46:22AM +0100, Damien Moore wrote:

> Hello and thank you for your efforts. I am using Xfce 4.10 as
> distributed with Debian 8. Is there a way to compose accented characters
> within Xfce? I have worked out how to do this inside LibreOffice by
> redefining seldom used function keys, but I was thinking of a method of
> more general application which could be used for notes, emails etc.

Use xmodmap, it's a basic X utility so remaps your keyboard for just
about everything.

To compose accented characters I use a 'multi' key (created using
xmodmap).  You hit the multi key and then the *two* keys needed to
create the accented character, for example:-

    e with acute accent - hit e and ' (order doesn't matter)
    a with grave accent - hit a and ` (that's a backquote)
    c with cedilla - hit c and ,

To do this I have a file .Xmodmap in my home directory with:-

    !
    !
    ! Set Right 'Windows' key to be the multi key for accented characters etc.
    !
    keycode 134 = Multi_key

As long as xmodmap is installed it will execute automatically with the
.Xmodmap file as input at system startup.

--
Chris Green