XFCE configuration data

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed May 27 12:05:34 CEST 2015

On Wed, 27 May 2015 11:20:57 +0200, killermoehre wrote:
>AFAIK nothing else should writing there on its own.

Likely the desktop file was written by me and not by
xfce4-settings-manager, however, it's used by xfce4-settings-manager.

>This directories main purpose is to provide overrides/additions for
>/usr/share/xfce4/. Due to the XDG standards, there is  strong
>connection between the single directories:
>
>  system default  |     admin override     |    user override
>------------------+------------------------+----------------------
> /usr/lib/xfce4   | /etc/xdg/xfce4         | ~/.config/xfce4
> /usr/share/xfce4 | /usr/local/share/xfce4 | ~/.local/share/xfce4

Thank you.

Btw. I've got two dirs and two files in .local/share/xfce4.

$ ls .local/share/xfce4/*
.local/share/xfce4/helpers:
custom-WebBrowser.desktop

.local/share/xfce4/parole:
auto-saved-playlist.m3u

For sure I didn't write auto-saved-playlist.m3u myself.

_Sum up_:

Everything is stored in
~/.config/xfce4/
~/.config/Thunar/
~/.local/share/xfce4/

This might be something that was used in the past:
~/.config/xfce4-session

Likely dconf or gconf aren't used, even not by xfwm.

Likely ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini are ignored.

Likely ~/.Xresources and ~/.fonts.conf/, resp. ~/.fonts.conf.d/ are
ignored too, but perhaps .config/Trolltech.conf is important or wherever
qtconfig-qt3 and qtconfig-qt4 store settings. Or does Xfce4 handle e.g.
font sizes for Qt apps too?

Regards,
Ralf