XFCE configuration data

killermoehre killermoehre at gmx.net
Wed May 27 13:14:46 CEST 2015

Am 27.05.2015 um 12:05 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Wed, 27 May 2015 11:20:57 +0200, killermoehre wrote:
>> AFAIK nothing else should writing there on its own.
>
> Likely the desktop file was written by me and not by
> xfce4-settings-manager, however, it's used by xfce4-settings-manager.

Which is right and intended. This was my bad. Pleas apologize for the
inconvenience.

>> This directories main purpose is to provide overrides/additions for
>> /usr/share/xfce4/. Due to the XDG standards, there is  strong
>> connection between the single directories:
>>
>>  system default  |     admin override     |    user override
>> ------------------+------------------------+----------------------
>> /usr/lib/xfce4   | /etc/xdg/xfce4         | ~/.config/xfce4
>> /usr/share/xfce4 | /usr/local/share/xfce4 | ~/.local/share/xfce4

To be really specific, there are even more directories. Please consult
the file system hierarchy standard for more informations.

> Thank you.
>
> Btw. I've got two dirs and two files in .local/share/xfce4.

This is also intended. There can be any directory-layout in this dirs.

> $ ls .local/share/xfce4/*
> .local/share/xfce4/helpers:
> custom-WebBrowser.desktop
>
> .local/share/xfce4/parole:
> auto-saved-playlist.m3u
>
> For sure I didn't write auto-saved-playlist.m3u myself.

It's questionable if you want to save the auto-saved playlist of parole,
but the place is right for its storage (one could argue that .config
would be better suited, but for this we would need to discuss if a
playlist is config or application data).

> _Sum up_:
>
> Everything is stored in
> ~/.config/xfce4/
> ~/.config/Thunar/
> ~/.local/share/xfce4/
>
> This might be something that was used in the past:
> ~/.config/xfce4-session
>
> Likely dconf or gconf aren't used, even not by xfwm.

Because xfce (and therefor xfwm4) uses xfconf ;) This doesn't mean that
other applications don't use those backends, like gvfs, gstreamer,
pulseaudio, or the other GNOME stuff you may use.

> Likely ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini are ignored.

That's wrong. xfce honors this settings. They override the default from
the current theme.

> Likely ~/.Xresources and ~/.fonts.conf/, resp. ~/.fonts.conf.d/ are
> ignored too, but perhaps .config/Trolltech.conf is important or wherever
> qtconfig-qt3 and qtconfig-qt4 store settings. Or does Xfce4 handle e.g.
> font sizes for Qt apps too?

~/.Xresources is _not_ ignored, see below. Also xfsettingsd is build
against fontconfig, so it depends on your /etc/fonts/*.conf if it checks
for ~/.fonts and such dirs.
For the QT-part it's important that the Trolltech.conf file has the line
"style=GTK+", which will tell QT to use the GTK-settings, which are set
by xfce.

If you read /usr/bin/startxfce4 closely you will see that different
files will be sourced, some of them could even be user supplied. Those
files can source other files, too. The default looks for:
- $HOME/.xserverrc
- $HOME/.xfce4/xinitrc (deprecated, only for compat)
- $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/xfce4/xinitrc
- $HOME/.Xdefaults
- $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/xfce4/Xft.xrdb
- $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/xfce4/Xcursor.xrdb
- $HOME/.Xresources
- $HOME/.Xmodmap

"$XDG_CONFIG_HOME" is either set to a path or defaults to "$HOME/.config".