XFCE configuration data

killermoehre killermoehre at gmx.net
Wed May 27 11:20:57 CEST 2015

Am 27.05.2015 um 10:08 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Wed, 27 May 2015 09:31:41 +0200, killermoehre wrote:
>> You need to safe
>> 	${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-${HOME}/.config}/{xfce4,Thunar}
>
> Indeed I forgot Thunar.
>
> However, .local/share/xfce4/ seems to be important too,
> while .config/xfce4-session/ is empty in my /home.
>
>> If you find user defined configurations
>>from xfces software in some place else, than please file a bug.
>
> Could you provide an official Xfce link that claims that there should
> be no files in .local/share/xfce4/?
>
> Such as e.g.
>
> $ cat .local/share/xfce4/helpers/custom-WebBrowser.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> NoDisplay=true
> Version=1.0
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Type=X-XFCE-Helper
> X-XFCE-Category=WebBrowser
> X-XFCE-CommandsWithParameter=/home/rocketmouse/.customization/default.browser.sh
> "%s"
> Icon=default.browser.sh
> Name=default.browser.sh
> X-XFCE-Commands=/home/rocketmouse/.customization/default.browser.sh
>
> IIRC it was stored by xfce4-settings-manager > Preferred Applications >
> Internet.

Right, the custom helpers. Which are belonging there. I forgot them.
Sorry, my bad. But AFAIK nothing else should writing there on its own.
This directories main purpose is to provide overrides/additions for
/usr/share/xfce4/. Due to the XDG standards, there is  strong connection
between the single directories:

  system default  |     admin override     |    user override
 /usr/lib/xfce4   | /etc/xdg/xfce4         | ~/.config/xfce4
 /usr/share/xfce4 | /usr/local/share/xfce4 | ~/.local/share/xfce4

Xfce tries to follow those guidelines as close as possible. I hope I
didn't caused any confusion. See http://specifications.freedesktop.org/
for the specs.