[off-list] Re: Xfwm4 / compositor: gray background

Harold Aling xfce at sait.nl
Wed May 20 12:05:49 CEST 2015

On Wed, 20 May 2015 at 11:54 Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 May 2015 at 11:40, Harold Aling <xfce at sait.nl> wrote:
> > I guess Xfdesktop is just a small price to pay for drawing an image on my
> > desktop without the hassle of finding an other window manager that
> behaves
> > just like Xfwm4, but does allow you to set a root pixmap.
>
> Seriously? I'll write it again, xfwm4 allows you to set a root pixmap
> with the compositor enabled, it's just not enabled by default because
> by default it's not needed.
>
> Now there is something I don't understand here, you seem to be willing
> to change the default setup (by removing xfdesktop) but not ready to
> even just rebuild from source? How come...

My default setup is xfce4-panel, xfce4-session and xfwm4, combined with a
few panel plugins like Whisker Menu. I enjoy the luxery of Arch Linux,
which notifies me when new releases are available and even compiles it for
me and provides binaries.

I use my laptop for work and I'd like to have as minimal maintenance as
possible. Compiling Xfwm4 from source, every release with a specific
patch-set, does not match my wishes. I could stay on one release to
minimize that, but I also like to have the latest and greatest software
installed; that's why I chose Arch over Ubuntu.

This may sound ignorant to you (I hope not), but I think it's a regular
use-case for more people than myself ...

About my resentment towards Xfdesktop: installing an application and
disabling like 90% of it's functionality feels a bit strange.

-H-