Hotplug: Turning off DisplayPort monitor also tears down its associated desktop.

Michal Varga spash at otana.link
Sun Mar 15 13:08:31 CET 2015

On Sun, 2015-03-15 at 08:46 +0000, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Again, as stated, nothing has changed wrt what you describe, Xfce has
> always behaved like that for the reasons I explained before.
>
> So something else has changed in your setup.
>
> Not convinced? Try to downgrade Xfce back to 4.10
>
> Cheers
> Olivier

Wow, and then people claim that GNOME 3 developers are full of
themselves. Guess I stand corrected...

Yes, "something" has changed in my setup. I "upgraded" from XFCE 4.10 to
XFCE 4.12, at which point my entire workflow broke down after years of
not having a slightest issue with it. So thanks for the helpful
suggestion to become 'convinced' by downgrading back to the perfectly
working version which, by your claim, has only been working properly for
several years by some miraculous accident (which is really something to
think about, suddenly I wonder how many other things actually 'work' in
XFCE only by accident and are really just supposed to behave like
everyone was running the environment on a tablet.)

Nevertheless, seeing that you chose to ignore both the entirety of my
original post (and the subsequent answer to your 'reasons') and my
request for some actual help in finding a solution to this - for me a
major problem - in favor of properly educating me on how a "well written
desktop" (by which I suppose you meant "a laptop") is supposed to
behave, I'm dropping the subject and I'm not going to bother you with it
anymore. That time will be clearly better spent on looking for a proper
replacement to XFCE.

Cheers,
m.

--