Wrong version of Firefox

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Sun Feb 8 18:28:14 CET 2015

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 18:11:54 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> This unlikely is related to Xfce. However, what distro are you using?
> Did you compile and install any version of Firefox on your own, without
> building a package before installing it? How do you launch Firefox?
> Is there a link in a /bin/ directory? What does firefox.desktop execute?

Hallo Ralf,

Well, I have a link in /usr/bin (not in /bin):

firefox -> /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox

So, when I call firefox from a terminal, the right version starts up.
Same with the mozilla-firefox.desktop file - it executes 'firefox'.

I did not compile firefox myself, I downloaded the binary package from
mozilla, and unpacked it, as I always do. Distro is Slackware64-current,
but they're usually a while behind.

So, the question remains, why (or how) does the session manager manage
to find the old version of firefox?

John