Wrong version of Firefox

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Feb 8 18:11:54 CET 2015

On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 10:37:00 -0600, Marshall Neill wrote:
>If it were me, I would uninstall Firefox then install the new version.
>
>Perhaps  pacman -Rnsc firefox
>then
>pacman -S firefox
>or do it from pamac to be certain which one is going to be installed.
>
>On 02/08/2015 10:14 AM, John Coppens wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After installing the new version of Firefox (35), XFCE still starts
>> the previous version (27).
>>
>> In /usr/lib64, I have a symlink 'firefox' which points to the
>> directory of the Firefox in use (so, at the moment, to
>> firefox-35.0.1).

This unlikely is related to Xfce. However, what distro are you using?
Did you compile and install any version of Firefox on your own, without
building a package before installing it? How do you launch Firefox?
Is there a link in a /bin/ directory? What does firefox.desktop execute?

$ pacman -Q firefox
firefox 35.0.1-1

$ ls -hAl /usr/bin/firefox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Jan 26 18:35 /usr/bin/firefox -> /usr/lib/firefox/firefox

$ grep Exec /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
Exec=/usr/lib/firefox/firefox %u