bash, ~/.bashrc and PATH

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sat Mar 22 16:45:52 CET 2014

On Sat, 2014-03-22 at 15:19 +0100, Ulrich Goebel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made a python-application, which starts shell-programs
> (os.system("xelatex ..."). In the ~/.bashrc I set the PATH to my (local)
> path for xelatex. As expected, all works fine as long as I start my
> application from a "normal" terminal.
>
> But if I try to start it from the panel, it fails. What I did is: I made
> a starter an give the full path to my application, checking the "run in
> terminal". So my application starts fine - but not the
> os.system("xelatex ...").
>
> To find the reason, I let my application just in its first line do
> os.system("env | grep PATH"). That shows that in the first case the PATH
> is set as given in ~/.bashrc but is not in the second case.
>
> What to do?

There was a recent list message thread that deals with similar stuff:

http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce/2014-March/033340.html

Chrome seems to detect a redirect loop and fails.

Iceweasel/FireFox seems good.

Others also seem good.

greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"All action results from thought, so it is thoughts that matter."
    -- Sai Baba